Call for Nominations: Nominate an Exhibit or Artist for the Lane Hall Exhibit Space for Winter 2023
The Women's and Gender Studies Department and the Institute for Research on Women and Gender invite nominations for an exhibit to be hosted in the Lane Hall Exhibit Space from January–July 2023. Proposed exhibits should be broadly related to issues of women and gender. The nomination period for the Winter Semester exhibit is April 1 through May 31, 2022. Notification of selection will be made by June 30, 2022.
Nominations for exhibits come primarily, but not exclusively, from University faculty.
The nomination will go to the Graduate Fellow for Exhibits, and then to the director of IRWG and the Chair of Women’s and Gender Studies.
Please send your nomination to LaneHallExhibits@umich.edu by May 31, 2022.
If you miss the nomination window this year, please consider nominating in the 2023 call.
Nominations should include the following:
- Description of the artist and/or the work, including how the exhibit relates to issues of women and/or gender. Please include visuals, the artist’s website (if applicable), and contact information.
- Estimated overall cost, including contribution by the artist or nominating unit.
- Programming that might be organized around the exhibit, including class visits, artist talk, workshops.
- Special handling the exhibit might require, including framing and shipping.
- When the work is available. Please indicate if the work would be available for a future exhibit (e.g., the following academic year).
- Other considerations.
- Artworks should be two-dimensional, able to be displayed on gallery walls, extending no more than 4 inches from the wall
- Small three-dimensional objects can be displayed in two 48” x 48”x 18” locked display cases
About the Lane Hall Exhibit Space:
- The exhibit space is located in the main lobby of Lane Hall, 204 S. State Street.
- Exhibits are available for public viewing during regular business hours (or by appointment for class visits).
- The exhibit budget is small, though some co-sponsorships can be secured.
- Budget items covered by Women’s and Gender Studies or IRWG normally include installation, installation supplies, and opening reception.
- Co-sponsorship funds may be raised for framing, shipping and expenses related to an artist’s talk, including honorarium, airfare and lodging and meals. Artist’s talks are given on occasion, but normally the artist says a few words during the opening reception.
Questions? Contact LaneHallExhibits@umich.edu