IRWG Incubators invigorate and extend interdisciplinary connections and research agendas around women, gender, or sexuality.
IRWG Incubators (formerly called "Faculty Led Programs") provide structure for a focused, collective examination of a particular area or topic related to women, gender, and/or sexuality.
Priority will be given to proposals that gather faculty together around a previously underfunded or emerging research area and that promises to energize a group of scholars at the University of Michigan in diverse and inclusive ways.
Any IRWG affiliate is eligible to request $500 to $7,500 for up to 2 years (renewals are permitted).
Funding may be used to support activities in a wide variety of formats, including (but not limited to) reading or working groups, seminar series or workshops for a core audience of researchers, or a symposium built around a research agenda.
Organizers are responsible for managing their budget and expenditures with IRWG administrative support.
Eligibility: IRWG Affiliates*
*U-M faculty and postdocs who are not yet affiliated can apply to be an IRWG affiliate through a simple form.
Applications will be accepted through our online submissions portal, InfoReady. You will need the following items for your proposal:
- Project Abstract - 100 word summary accessible to a general reader. If awarded, we will use this description on our website and in social media.
- Project Narrative - In no more than three (3) pages please include the following:
- Goals & Objectives: What does this program hope to achieve? How does it contribute to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in feminist research?
- Activities: Include proposed activities and an estimated timeline
- Program Membership/Engagement Plan: Include a list of faculty who have agreed to serve on a steering committee and the Program Area Organizer/s. Organizers should demonstrate potential for sufficient attendance at proposed public events.
- Future Research Plans: Explain how this funding would contribute to future research agendas or strengthen U-M’s collective knowledge/capacity in a particular area
- Budget Justification - In no more than two (2) pages describe your project’s budget
- Outline budget expenses, including their justification.
- Any salary expenses must include appropriate calculation of benefits. Please note that faculty salary will not be funded.
Letter of support - If your project includes partnerships with community organizations or outside institutions, please include a letter of support from each proposed partner.
Email Rebecca Shea Irvine, Program Director for Faculty Research Development (email@example.com)
Read more about recently funded IRWG Incubators on our Scholarly Community page.