Boyd Williams Dissertation Grant for Research on Women and Work
Deadline: November 27, 2017
Grants of $2,000 will be awarded in Winter 2018 for doctoral dissertation expenses such as books, travel, production or exhibition costs, software, data collection, payment of subjects, or other types of support needed to complete the project.
Applicants must be University of Michigan Ph.D. students in any field. Students who have received this award in the past are not eligible to apply.
Students applying for a Boyd/Williams Grant may also apply for an IRWG/Rackham Community of Scholars fellowship.
Criteria for Awards:
- Centrality of focus on women and work
- Anticipated contribution of the project to scholarship or creative work on women and work
- Inclusion of appropriate attention to issues of race/ethnicity, sexuality, class, nationality, or other differences among women or men
- Quality of the scholarship or creative activity
- Clarity of the project description
- Use of an interdisciplinary approach to scholarship or creative activity
- Plausibility of the proposed budget
- Good standing in the applicant’s academic program
- Contribution of the project to the applicant’s professional development
Complete the IRWG Graduate Funding Online Application (below) and submit it along with additional documents:
1. Statement of how your project fits into your graduate career and professional development
2. Project Title
3. Abstract (100 word summary)
4. Project Description (800 words)
- The description should include the goals, methods, and significance of your project in terms that are understandable by scholars from many disciplines.
- This will be reviewed by an interdisciplinary committee.
5. Project Budget and Statement of Expected Funding
6. Two (2) letters of recommendation from professors addressing your overall educational and career plan.
7. Curriculum Vitae
8. Transcript(s) of graduate work from the University of Michigan
- You may apply for both graduate student funding opportunities with a single application.
- The application form and accompanying documents (CV, letters of support, and transcripts) only need to be submitted once.
- Please note that you cannot make changes to the application form after you've clicked "Submit."
- U-M transcripts may be official or unofficial, and should be scanned and uploaded directly to the Application Form below.
- Letters of support may be sent directly from the letter-writer to IRWG through campus mail or email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or can be submitted by the applicant in sealed envelopes, signed across the seal by the letter-writer. Mail hard copies of letters of support to: Graduate Student Funding Programs, Institute for Research on Women & Gender, 1136 Lane Hall, 204 S. State St., Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1290
Human Subjects Review: Compliance with all appropriate regulations governing conduct of research will be required. Research proposals involving the use of human subjects will be subject to project review and approval by the appropriate IRB. It is the responsibility of the applicant to obtain IRB approval.
IRWG main office: 734.764.9537 or email@example.com