About IRWG

Color photography of lilac blossoms in front of Lane Hall, a UMich Building

Established in 1995, the Institute for Research on Women & Gender (IRWG) is an interdisciplinary unit of the University of Michigan Office of Research, supporting research on women, gender, and sexuality.

Our research vision is interdisciplinary and broadly inclusive of the creative and performing arts as well as the humanities, social sciences, and the sciences. IRWG is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in research and across our scholarly communities.

The Institute:

IRWG is housed in historic Lane Hall, along with the Department of Women’s Studies. Lane Hall is located on the corner of Washington and South State Streets. Faculty, students and staff make Lane Hall a unique and vibrant feminist research community.

Visit the Lane Hall Gallery.

People

Color photograph of Anna Kirkland
IRWG Director, Arthur F. Thurnau Professor of Women's Studies
color photo of Ava Purkiss
Program Co-Director, Black Feminist Health Studies; Assistant Professor of Women's Studies and American Culture
Color photography of Carol Boyd
Research Professor, IRWG; Deborah J Oakley Collegiate Professor of Nursing, Professor of Nursing, School of Nursing; Professor of Women's Studies, LSA; Research Professor, Psychiatry, Medical School
Associate Professor of Surgery, Medical School
Research Fellow, Clinical Lecturer, OB-GYN
Associate Professor of Nursing, School of Nursing

Support IRWG

Be a Victor for Gender Research!

Your gift to IRWG will support research, enhance public programming, and help strengthen the status of women and the LGBTQ* community worldwide. All contributions are tax deductible. 

Give online or send a check, payable to the University of Michigan, to:

Institute for Research on Women & Gender
University of Michigan
1136 Lane Hall
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1290
Attn: IRWG Gift Fund

History of IRWG

The Institute for Research on Women and Gender was established in 1995, after several pioneering Women’s Studies faculty members, including Professor Abigail Stewart (Psychology and Women’s Studies), organized themselves and approached President James J. Duderstadt with a proposal to establish a new University “structure” to meet unmet needs and fulfill the President’s goals, as outlined in his Agenda for Women.

Women’s Studies, founded in 1973, was already established as an interdisciplinary program dedicated to excellence through feminist research, teaching, and activism. Alongside Women’s Studies, the Center for the Education of Women (CEW), founded in 1964, had long helped community women and students achieve their professional and educational goals.

Yet, by the mid-’90s, more than 20 years after the University heralded a new era for women, no unit existed to strengthen and focus the many, varied faculty research projects related to women and gender that had emerged throughout the University– often in isolation, unknown to each other. Professor Stewart and her colleagues pointed out the need to President Duderstadt:

“In order to compete effectively for a role in the national discussion of significant issues affecting women, we must create an institutional structure that can bring together the disparate faculty research efforts at the University, focus them in significant program areas, and stimulate needed research on understudied problems demanding new or better scholarship.…[Women’s Studies and CEW] cannot by themselves stimulate and facilitate the university-wide research agenda envisioned for the Institute. Strong institutional links with both CEW and Women’s Studies are essential, and will only strengthen all three.”

President Duderstadt recognized that this proposal would help address his goal, as described in his Agenda for Women, “to make the University of Michigan the leading institution for the study of women and women’s issues.” He authorized the establishment of IRWG under the Office of the Vice President for Research, with Professor Stewart as the first director. The institute was established to serve three main functions:

  • Providing an institutional umbrella for ongoing faculty research efforts focusing on women and gender.

  • Offering coordination, stimulation and support for effective interdisciplinary research.

  • Heightening Michigan’s national profile as a major source of knowledge about women and gender.

Initially housed in West Quad, IRWG moved to West Hall in 1996, and finally to its current home in Lane Hall in 2000.

Directors of IRWG

  • Anna Kirkland, Professor of Women’s Studies, University of Michigan (2017-present)

  • Sarah Fenstermaker, Professor of Sociology and Feminist Studies, University of California, Santa Barbara (2012-2017)

  • Jacquelynne Eccles, Professor of Psychology and Women’s Studies, University of Michigan (2011-2012)

  • Carol J. Boyd, Professor of Nursing and Women’s Studies, University of Michigan (2004-2011)

  • Susan Nolen-Hoeksem, Professor of Psychology and Psychiatry, University of Michigan (2003-2004)

  • Barbara Gutek, Professor of Organizational Psychology, University of Arizona (2002-2003)

  • Abigail J. Stewart, Professor of Psychology and Women’s Studies, University of Michigan (1995-2002)

History of Lane Hall

Lane Hall, the University of Michigan's home to the Women’s Studies Department and the Institute for Research on Women and Gender, opened in 1917. The slideshow below was created by IRWG staff with materials and support from the Bentley Historical Library at U-M, for an exhibit in the early 2000s (exact year is unknown). Click here to view the slides on Slideshare.net.

Looking for research funding?

IRWG provides direct research funding and research support services to assist U-M faculty seeking external funding opportunities for research, scholarship, or other creative activities that focus on women, gender and sexuality.